- Depending on the itinerary and the combined total weight (animal + transport bag), the animal may have to fly part of the route in the cabin and another part in the hold - this is the case for flights between the United States and Europe (for example, New York - Lisbon - Madrid).
- f the animal is to be transported both in the cabin and in the hold, you must ensure that the connection time (time between two flights) is at least 3 hours, to ensure that all necessary processes and procedures are completed.
- If the animal travels in the cabin and moves to the hold on the second route, you must provide the transport box for the animal at the point of origin.
See the conditions, follow our recommendations and make your pet as comfortable as possible.
We do not accept reservations to carry brachycephalic animals in the hold (“brachy” meaning short, and “cephalic” meaning head), that is to say, short flat-nosed dogs or cats. This restriction is a consequence of the characteristics and respiratory limitations of the certain types of animals whose lives could be placed at risk. See the list of dog and cat breeds (and crossbreeds) to which this restriction applies:
- American Bully
- American Pit Bull Terrier / Pit Bull
- American Staffordshire Terrier / “Amstaff”
- Boston Terrier
- Brussels Griffon
- Bulldog (all types)
- Cavalier King Charles
- Chow Chow
- English Toy Spaniel / Prince Charles Spaniel
- Japanese Chin / Japanese Spaniel
- Lhasa Apso
- Mastiff (all types)
- Shar Pei / Chinese Shar Pei
- Pug (all types)
- Staffordshire Bull Terrier / “Staffies"
- Tibetan Spaniel
- Scottish Fold
We would like to inform you that transporting these animals in the cargo hold is not allowed due to the average temperature in this compartment (minimum 10ºC, maximum 19ºC), which does not meet the required temperature standards for the animal's welfare.
TAP allows transportation of animals in the cabin or hold depending on available space, the type of animal and the combined weight of the animal and container, type of aircraft to be operated, the cabin reserved by the passenger and entry restrictions in the country of destination.
Passengers traveling with animals must:
- Present the animal’s documents (health certificates, passports and other documents identifying the animal);
- Check-in personnel in the airport will verify if all conditions are complied with for the transportation of your pet in the hold. You are asked to sign a disclaimer. View and print the document here (PDF, 0.2MB, EN);
- Provide the food and water needed for the trip.
And also when traveling to countries outside the European Union:
Before traveling and as soon as possible (up to a maximum of 48 hours prior to departure of your flight), you should contact the Veterinary Directorate-General by email so that the documentation can be checked in advance by veterinary control. If your pet does not comply with established health rules, its entry into the country may be refused. This requirement applies whenever you travel with your pet from countries outside the European Union (excluding Andorra, Switzerland, Faroe Islands, Gibraltar, Greenland, Croatia, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino and Vatican City State).
Only dogs registered as service animals (SVAN) can be transported to the UK, and only in the cabin. Animals that are not service animals can only be transported out of the UK.
If you need information on importing and exporting animals, you should contact the embassy or consulate of the country in question.
24 hours Minimum advance period for booking transport of an animal.
This service must be requested when make your reservation or before your flight. Otherwise, we may not be able to provide it.
|Transport of animals||In the cabin||In the hold|
|Weight||Up to 8kg / 17lbs||Up to 32kg / 70lbs||From 32kg / 70lbs to 45kg / 99lbs|
|Domestic Flights (Portugal)||35 / 45 USD / 58 CAD||70 / 88 USD / 112 CAD||130 / 155 USD / 205 CAD|
|Europe and Morocco||70 / 88 USD / 112 CAD||100 / 130 USD / 160 CAD||200 / 240 USD / 310 CAD|
|Intercontinental Flights||150 / 185 USD / 235 CAD||200 / 240 USD / 310 CAD||300 / 355 USD / 465 CAD|
Confirmation of your request to transport an animal in the cabin or in the hold will depends on:
- availability of space;
- type of animal/total weight of animal and crate
- the planned type of aircraft;
- the cabin where the passenger travels;
- entry restrictions for country of destination
If the trip involves more than one airline, all the airlines involved must confirm transport of the animal.
The airline must be informed of:
- the size of the box in which the animal is to be transported;
- the total weight (transport box with the animal inside);
- the animal species and number of animals being transported.
Animal transport boxes must comply with TAP regulations.
The maximum weight on certain routes is limited by law to 32 kg / 70 lbs.
On flights to, from or stopping over in the USA, Hungary, France or the Netherlands, only animals weighing up to 32 kg / 70 lbs. (the animal plus its carrier) can be transported in the hold.
The fees for transporting animals as cargo are only valid for departures from Portugal. Other fees may apply for transport to other countries.
- These services are available only on flights operated by TAP and TAP Express;
- Subject to availability.
Flights to Brazil
The European Pet Passport is not currently valid for entry into Brazil.
The Pet Passport is not sufficient to allow the animals to enter the country.
You do not need an Import License for cats or dogs; however, all other pets must have an Import License issued by the Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Supply. Pets do not need to be microchipped.
Please visit the links below for more information: